Canned salmon is a protein packed item offered through Manna’s food pantry. It’s nutrient rich and so good for you. When made into patties there is nothing like it for a light dinner on a hot summer day. Serve the patties by themselves or load them up on a burger bun with your favorite toppings for a satisfying alternative to beef.
Super Easy Salmon Patty’s
- 2 cans salmon, drained
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned or plain
- 1⁄4 c up parsley, chopped (if you don’t use seasoned breadcrumbs)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil until cooked through, but not brown.
- Drain liquid from the salmon.
- Combine salmon, sautéed onion, breadcrumbs (parsley if you use plain breadcrumbs), eggs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Melt butter and oil in a pan.
- Brown salmon patties on both sides (about 4-5 minutes per side).
- Place cooked patties on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Serve with a side of tartar sauce, green salad and steamed veggies, for a wholesome and nutritious summer meal.
To be a bit more creative, place patties on a hamburger bun with lettuce, sliced tomato, tartar sauce or Thousand Island dressing for the perfect summer treat. Makes 4 servings.