From the Chef:
I used to look forward to pumpkin pancakes at my favorite breakfast place Sunday mornings in the fall. Once my daughter was born, it just got too hard to get out of the house. I stumbled across this easy and fun recipe one day and thought I’d give it a shot. Once I made it, I decided then and there, I would only eat them at home from then on. So good! So easy!! And SO MUCH CHEAPER!! The secret ingredient in these is lemon juice and its zest. While many recipes call for vinegar, the slight amount of lemony-citrus acid elevates and accentuates the pumpkin’s flavor.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white (granulated) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon or 2 teaspoons worth
*1 teaspoon vegetable oil for the skillet
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together for two minutes to aerate. (We don’t sift anymore. That is so yesterday!)
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, egg, milk, 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just incorporated, being careful to not overmix. (Overmixing creates heavier pancakes.)
- Heat up your old electric skillet, your fancy Wolf Range flat top, or, if you’re like me, your simple, non-stick skillet to medium heat. 😊 Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and using a paper towel, smear the oil evenly over the skillet. (Keep the paper towel for the next batch.)
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to pour the batter into the skillet. Cook two-3 minutes on the first side and two minutes on the next side.
- Enjoy with maple syrup and homemade whipped cream with a touch of cinnamon…. I’m hungry already!!