Mac and Cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese
- 9 cups milk, warmed
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2T melted butter for the breadcrumbs
- 1 T. dry mustard (optional)
- 1t. onion powder (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 pinches paprika (or smoked paprika)
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly (Milk must be quite warm or roux will not thicken.). Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in a large casserole dish, and pour the sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.
A Note From the Chef:
I always make my mac and cheese really loose. (Gooey!!) To better incorporate the cheese and pasta, I sometimes mix them in a bowl and then pour into the casserole dish.
Boxed Mac and Cheese Upgrades
These fun additions will brighten up any weeknight meal
- Crunchy and Creamy Mac and Cheese
Add ½ sour cream to your mac & cheese and pour the mix into a buttered 9×9 casserole baking dish. Smash up your favorite potato chips (I like Lay’s) and place them on top. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for ten minutes.
- Southwest Mac and Cheese
Add ½lb browned ground beef and one packet of taco seasoning to your finished mac & cheese. Serve with tortilla chips
- Ritz Bliss Mac and Cheese
- 1 (6oz) box mac & cheese
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Ritz Crackers (or butter-style cracker)
- 1 cup bacon, cooked, diced (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- *optional: 1 tablespoon parsley (1 teaspoon dried), chopped (garnish)Directions
Preheat oven to 425*
- Cook noodles till they are just under-cooked. (They will finish cooking in the oven)
- Drain the noodles. Add butter, milk, garlic, bacon, and the cheese packet back into the pot you cooked the noodles in. Mix well, combining the ingredients until all noodles are coated.
- Pour the mix into a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top. Then, top that with the crushed crackers.
- Bake 10 minutes or, until golden brown.
- Garnish with bacon and parsley