Fromage Blanc (Farmer’s Cheese)
I have used this recipe in my cooking classes for years. It’s easy to make and a fun addition to an appetizer party.
Yields 2 4oz. Ramekins
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (or fresh lemon juice)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- (fresh herbs) if desired
- Heat milk to 175 degrees
- Add vinegar or lemon juice
- Turn heat OFF. Gently stir for about 3 minutes. If curds are not forming, add more vinegar.
- Let sit for 10 minutes. DO NOT MOVE IT AROUND!
- Strain through cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Hang dry for 30 minutes.
- Remove cheesecloth.
- Season with salt (and herbs, if desired)
- Place cheese inside ramekins or molds.
- Let chill for at least 1 hour. Overnight is best.
- Can stay chilled in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Dried Herbs de Province are delicious in this. Right before serving, I top it with a touch of honey.
- Try it with flavored salts (Truffle!)
- Spoon pepper jelly over the top.