Cheesy Baked Eggs
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
A Note From the Chef:
My mom made this recipe for our brunch guests when I was growing up. I think of her fondly each time I make it. This is the easiest and tastiest egg dish I have ever made, hands-down. You can prepare all of the ingredients the night beforehand.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted (or vegetable spray)
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1 (4) ounce can diced Ortega chilies (optional)
- Vegetable spray (for the pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the casserole dish with vegetable or, in my preferred manner,
brush melted butter inside of it.
- Whisk together the eggs, flour, cottage cheese, salt, and optional black pepper and Ortega chilies and pour into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese all over
the top. (Don’t worry about the cheese sinking into the egg mixture.)
- Bake in the preheated 350* degree oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the eggs are just set.
- Cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares.
- Substitute pepper jack, Colby-jack, or other of your favorite shredded cheese
- Add bacon, ham, and/or your favorite pre-cooked veggies, (mushrooms, peppers, and asparagus? Yum!)
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, or your favorite toppings. Guacamole anyone?